Saturday, November 01, 2008

Shortwave Blog "Bytes"

This afternoons edition of Shortwave Blog "Bytes" is a mix of "bits and bytes" from the past few days. Plenty here, and hopefully will compliment your listening. Best of DX your way.
Gayle Van Horn

Now put it back together - focus on Bolivian political divisions
www.economist.com/world/americas/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12260915

Bolivian Logs October 2008
Original logs by Lúcio Otávio Bobrowiec
Additional logs from Florida
3309.98 Bolivia R Mosoj Chaski, Cochabamba
3390.2 Bolivia Emisoras Camargo Camargo
4111.1 Radio Virgen de Remedios, Tupiza
4409.7 Radio Eco, Reyes
4451.6 Radio Santa Ana, Santa Ana de Yacuma
4699.7 Radio San Miguel, Riberalta
4716.6 Radio Yura, Aillu Yura
4781.6 Radio Tacana, Tumupasa
4796.5 Radio Mallku, Uyuni
4865 Radio Logos, Santa Cruz
5580.2 Bolivia Radio San Jose. San Jose de Chiquitos
5952.4 Pio XII, Siglo Veinte
5996.5 Radio Loyola, Sucre
6025 Radio Patria Nueva, La Paz
6075 Radio. Kausachun Coca
6079.9 Radio San Gabriel, La Paz
6134.8 Radio Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz
(Source: R Wilkner/Cumbre DX)

Bhutan on 6035 kHz
Bhutan BS 6035 11/1 with weak, but clear signal with man talking in lang. from 0034 tune. No sign of Colombian yet as of 0045. (Bruce Churchill/Cumbre DX)

A look back at crystal radios
GORDON REEVE, Northampton
As I remember it. My first experience of a crystal set was when my pals and I were on our way to school one morning when behold we found a nice foot square box placed on a dustbin ready for the weeks refuse collection. Not knowing what it was we decided to take it and explore. I was then ten years old which make it 1941. There were knobs set into the lid and the lid was hinged. On opening we found a large coil and wires, also a glass file which contained a small knob and shaft which touched a stone, this was the crystal I remember, Coming out of school and showing it to my granddad who said what it could do, he gave us a pair of large headphones so we went down to the local field connected one long wire to a tree and the earth wire we stuck in the ground. Then we fiddled and after awhile we heard faint music. It worked! What ever happened to it I can't remember, perhaps it was swapped for something else, alas. Now it would self for £££'s (GR 1919) (Source: Contact-Radio Topics/Nov 2008 via Alan Roe)

Greenland weekend log on 3815
Via Global Tuner, United Kingdom
Greenland: 3815USB Ammasalik Radio 2010 with kids singing and accordian music at 2020. They played music right through 2030. I am starting to wonder if this is weekends only now. The initial log was during the week,but all the subsequent logs are from the weekends [see below.] I keep trying during the week without success, but they always seems to
have a nice signal on the weekend. Has anyone heard them during the week recently? Does anyone have contacts at the stationthat can provide us with their current schedule? (Hans Johnson Nov 1/Cumbre DX)


Iran's VOIRI Spanish B08 schedule
All times UTC
0030-0130 Central/South América 9680, 7225
0130-0230 Central/South América 7225, 9680
0230-0330 Central/South América 7225
0530-0630 España 15320, 13710
2030-2130 Europe 6055 España 7350, 7130
(José Miguel Romero,Spain/HCDX)

Pakistan returns to normal time November 2
Oct 28, 2008 (14 hours ago)
from DXAsia News
Due to the local time (UTC + 5.00 hrs) change in Pakistan the following
changes are effective 2nd November 2008 for VOA URDU SERVICE :
MW 972 1539 kHz is available at 1400-0200 hrs instead of 1300-0100 hrs.
SW service 0100-0200 (ex 0000-0100) on 9520 9820 kHz.
SW service 1400-1500 (ex 1300-1400) on 7440 9390 kHz.
(Alok Dasgupta, Kolkata via http://dxasia.info/news/20081028 )

Query on voice recording software
Dear DX-friends,
I have AR7030 Plus receiver and Dell Inspiron 1720 portable computer with Vista Home Premium software. I was quite active in DX-ing until my retirement in 2000. Afterwards I was busy on other matters and I did not do any DX-ing for some years. Now I plan to start again and would like to use my computer for recording. My old casette recorder decided not to work any more after 34 years. Mauno Ritola helped me to connect my receiver to my computer. He has been using RecAll Pro program and I decided to try it.

I installed RecAll Pro some days ago for trying it before bying. After the installation it worked beautifully until next day, when I tried to use it. When starting it, my computer was completely blocked. I had to reboot my computer, uninstall RecAll Pro, reinstall it and it worked again until I restarted my computer. I like the program, but it is too painful to uninstall and reinstall the program every time I want to use it. I know that there are a lot of other similar kind of programs available in the market doing the same thing. However, I would like to have opinions of the users of those software programs before committing myself
Please reply directly to me that we do not waste space and time of the other
Hard-Core-DX users.
Best regards to everyone.
Esko Ahlroth
243 Route des Marlis
F-01280 Prévessin-Moëns
France
e-mail: ahlroth@wanadoo.fr

Recent QSL from VOA
I stopped collecting QSL's back sometime in the 70's but decided to start again recently because there are so many new countries to verify and because I have so much more time on my hands after retiring from Voice of America.
The first new QSL received came from, of all places, VOA, verifying the Sao Tome relay station. While it confirmed the site, the rest of the data was wrong. Frequency was wrong,date was incorrect, time was wrong. I'm not certain if I should return it--along with the original letter -- asking for a correct card or keep it as is. Someone somewhere probably has my correct version, and I have theirs. And they're wondering, too.(Bruce Barker-PA, NRD-535D, Alpha Delta DX Sloper)

Shortwave Radio Report program
he latest Shortwave Report (October 31) is up at the website www.outfarpress.com/outfarpress/shortwave.shtml in both broadcast quality (13.3MB) and quickdownload or streaming form (4.9MB) (28:59) NEW! If you have access to Audioport.org there is a higher quality version posted up there {26.7MB} http://www.audioport.org/index.php?op=producer-info&uid=904&nav=&;)
There is an article about the Shortwave Report by Cassandra Roos on line at-www.campusprogress.org/soundvision/780/big-stories-shortwaves
I hope you'll listen and air this if you're connected with a radio station. link for smaller file and streaming- Please read my aricle on SINPO at http://tinyurl.com/yt7qjd
(Source: Zacharias Liangas,Thessaloniki Greece/Cumbre DX)

Sudan Radio Peace confirms they're on the air
I had a query as to whether 5895 is actually on the air, the station just confirmed for me that it is indeed on. original message:
Hi All - I got a message from these guys that they are back on the air. They used to make it to ECNA and Europe at 0300 on 4750. (Johnson Oct 29)
Radio Peace was briefly back on the air, but is now off again. They are working to get back on 4750 and 5895 (Johnson Oct 8)
On a really good day for E-W African propagation, can be heard on WCNA...but
would be marginal at best 0245 to 0315. (Bruce Churchill/Cumbre DX)

HAM-Tech 2008 QSL card
Radiophilatélie
Contact: swl87@orange.fr
Bonjour
Ci-jointe une enveloppe FDC pour le Ham Tech 2008 en Inde.
73 de Raymond. (SWL F-15873)