Monday, September 28, 2009

Internet radio brings the world to your home

by Bill Mann
LIKE SOME OF YOU, I've listened to radio on the net for years. And also, popular free music service Pandora, where you can program your own customized radio station to play everything from Wilson Pickett to Haydn.

But there's a convenient new twist:

A net radio you can put on your nightstand or anyplace in your house — with radio preset buttons. It brings the world into your living room or bedroom at the touch of a button.

I first saw one of these last year in Vancouver, where I was visiting my old pal "Mayor" Art Finley, the former KRON kiddie-show host and talk host at both KCBS and KGO.

Finley had a Grace Internet radio pre-set to both KCBS and KGO. So here we were way up in B.C., listening to Bay Area radio. No more lugging a laptop around the house: I just had to get one, which I did for my birthday. They're not that expensive and look a lot like a regular radio.

read more of this story at: http://www.mercurynews.com/alamedacounty/ci_13411152